Wednesday, January 2, 2013

MY "ONE THING" (2 really)

Happy New Years everyone!!! We rung in the new years with some awesome friends...new and old.... played some super fun games and midnight came quickly! So much to be thankful for in 2012 and looking forward to all God has for us in 2013!

So we all know statistics show most people don't follow through on resolutions for their first month and by Valentines Day most have left it behind them....So here I am at the beginning of January looking to grow and change.

Last Sunday Lyle preached and talked about what "ONE THING" will you work on, change in, get rid of, etc. in your life...For me there was no question...I wanted to work in 2013 on my scripture memory. God's Word is what I live my life by...it is where I have learned about my salvation, it is where i find principles for raising my children, it is the map by which Lyle leads our family....AND I know I need to not only know what it says BUT I need to have it imprinted upon my heart. So....tonight we begin Beth Moore's bible study called "James- Mercy Triumphs". I have heard from 4-5 women from different churches and backgrounds that it is awesome and that it is the best study Beth Moore has ever written. I got my book the other day and started into it...It is so good....She has 5 tiers you can choose from depending on your time, desire, etc.

1. Just watch the videos
2. Watch videos, do the 5 days of homework study through the week (each takes about 20 minutes)
3. Watch videos, do homework, Write out the book of James as you go through it
4. Watch videos, do homework, write out book of James, Do the digging deeper sections of homework
5. Watch videos, do homework, write out book of James, Do the digging deeper section, AND MEMORIZE THE ENTIRE BOOK OF JAMES!!!!

So in the intro she suggests you settle on which tier you will commit to. I circled 4. THEN, after you circle it she suggests you go one step further....YIKES... that left me with #5 AND just a day after i committed to inscribing Gods Word on my heart in 2013...I didn't think that would mean memorizing an entire book.....OK GOD... I GET IT...I AM NOW MEMORIZING THE ENTIRE BOOK OF JAMES. One chapter a month for the next 5 months. I almost have verses 1-7 down....ONLY 101 to go...You can pray for me that I stick to it...I am committed to not being that statistic that quits!

I also decided to do a home "ONE THING" I did it last year as well. It's called 40 bags in 40 days. That means each day for 40 days I choose an area of my house (My closet, the pantry, the dining room, Kitchen cupboards, Bathroom cabinets, junk drawer, etc.). There is no bag size restrictions...it could be a walmart/grocery bag OR a gigantic trash bag. I did this last year and at the end of the 40 days I was missing nothing and felt so much less overwhelmed and  way less cluttered!

What might your "ONE THING" be in 2013? Let go of food, drink, an addiction, a grudge, A show that is only filling your mind with garbage. Maybe more exercise, more time in Gods Word, attend church on a regular basis, keeping your home cleaner, choosing to spend more time with your kids, family dinner each night, changing how you treat your spouse....the list really keeps going and going. I challenge you to think of committing to "ONE THING" in your spiritual life and "ONE THING" in your home life! Shouldn't we all be growing and changing? You may not have commit to something January 1st BUT why not commit to something now? Feel free to comment or email me about your "ONE THING". I will commit to you to pray for you and your "ONE THING" in 2013.

Happy 2013 and I look forward to what God has in store for each of us in this new year!

Liv is sitting here with me and she said she wanted to blog too! Her message to you today is "I LOVE YOU, I LIKE YOU, I HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY" - Olivia Hartwell

3 comments:

Nick said...

oh i loved Beth Moore's study of James! our women's group did that last year. it is awesome!
we just finished up another Beth Moore study..."stepping up, a journey through the psalms of ascent." another awesome study!
next we are doing Priscilla Shirer's discerning the voice of God. cannot wait to start!
oh..and my 'goal' for this year will be to spend less time on the computer and more time in God's word/praying.
happy new year!!

Becky Hartwell said...

I will def. check those out!

Unknown said...

I love the 40 bags in 40 days idea...can't wait to start!!

Post a Comment